Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Little Things #2

It's been kinda rainy and grey around here the last week or so. That's a good thing -- we need the rain. But you do get to missing the sunshine.


This afternoon I walked out of my office to get a sandwich for lunch, and was struck by a wonderful smell -- the smell of fall.


The fog from this morning had burned off, and while it was still a little overcast, the sun was trying to peak through. There were scattered patches of baby blue sky visible. And the trees -- at their peak for the last week or so with brilliant oranges, reds, golden yellows, rusts, plums and cinnamons -- were striking.


It was that combination of a little dampness and a lot of dry, decaying leaves that hit my nose and triggered a wonderful feeling. I was briefly reminded of all the years of jumping in the leaf pile at the bottom of the hill in our backyard when I was a kid after my dad had finally raked them all up, and before he hauled them into the woods.

No comments: